Saturday, August 9, 2014

Summer in the City: Part 2: Concrete Beach

Let me begin by explaining this horrible two week delay, I am very sorry, but at first I considered this post inapplicable to the current Amsterdam since it started raining heavily a day after the heat. The following weekend I had health issues which got in the way.
So, with the weather having corrected itself once again and all, I will continue my tale of the Summer in Amsterdam.

Having agreed to go to the mysterious Roest, with my first day on a bicycle in the urban jungle, I had no idea of how far the place would be or what would await me there. When someone says “the beach” I assume the sea, so I was little surprised about it being only 20 minutes away by bike. We started cycling through the town across the Amstel. I was behind everyone, feeling quite jumpy at the sight of cars, but fortunately the traffic is gracious on weekends (and practically non-existent on Sundays). We travelled down the route of Tram 10, eventually passing the huge Windmill and the brewery next to it.
Speaking of which, the Brewery there is an absolute treat. I highly recommend it for any beer connoisseur, for prices and selection.
We turned left from the windmill and straight down the long picturesque road, until everybody started turning left again into an enormous, deserted parking lot, behind which you can see and old, rusted, loading dock. In the dusty heat, rust and cawing of a murder of crows I started to wonder on what exactly I was being dragged into.
We reached a crowded bicycle parking area where we all chained our bikes into pairs (safer that way!) and walked straight to the rusted loading dock. I noticed metal clumps on stands and tastelessly welded, illegible sign above a graffiti-masked shack, and two laid back surfer dudes chilling outside, smoking. As it turns out “Roest” literally means “Rust” in Dutch.
It was a Hipster Urban Beach Bar. I saw a girl walk by with a dance hoop, and later found out the place hosts music festivals and artisan events and sales. The old warehouse is also utilised. Together the bar is used as an exhibition space, theatre and a concert hall?! I'm 300% sure it hosts the occasional rave parties to top this off. We walked into the shack to get drinks. The establishment had wide collection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and a menu of mouth-watering lunch offers. On the other side of the shack was an exit to a man-made beach on the dock.
Young, beautiful people were strewn all over the white sand in their swimwear. There were also some children there. We rolled out our towels on the sand and started chatting.
The place isn't too noisy, making it a perfect conversation environment. Further from where we were seated there are hammocks and sunbeds available. Next to them you can find a tarzan swing into the water, there are also less active access points to the water, but the hysterical laughter and splashes seem like a better idea. There are also shower facilities and what I like to call “foot-desandifying places” at hand. I sat watching all these beautiful Dutch creatures in their natural habitat, thinking “My GOD, these people are gorgeous”!
All that being said, the place is clean and comfortable during the day.
If you are like me and don't enjoy urban swimming environments as much as their wilder counterparts, you can still find yourself wanting to join the splashy fun. If you are not convinced, you can still enjoy an ice cold beer in the super laid-back environment on those surprisingly hot days. Since it's pretty damn close to the city centre, it doesn't need feverish planning in order to commute there. I will definitely take all my international guests there to unwind after a series of museum visits.
Their website has an abundance of photos and news of events, so check it out.
 
And no, I don't get paid to promote anything, otherwise I'd post more often... HAH.

No comments:

Post a Comment